American Community College Admissions System

Posted: Posted Date – 10:56 PM, Sat – 30 Apr 22

The English proficiency requirement may be lower for a community college than for a four-year institution.

Every question has an answer. And ‘Destination USA’ will strive to provide the right answer to all those young people who dream of studying in the United States.

Send your questions and doubts to ‘[email protected]’ to be answered by subject matter experts, from the degree and study program you can pursue to what the application process entails, on universities, how to prepare resumes, financing your studies and even what it is like to live and study in the United States, all are welcome.

Q. What is the admissions and application system for community colleges in the United States?

A. Community colleges in the United States operate an “open” admissions policy. This means that anyone wishing to register and who meets the minimum admission requirements can do so. Each institution will have its own set of admission requirements, but the minimum generally includes the following:

• Completed application form

• Proof of high school completion, usually 12 years of schooling

• Certification of English proficiency – TOEFL or IELTS

• Proof of financial support

The English proficiency requirement may be lower for a community college than for a four-year institution. Also, if a student’s score is slightly below the admission criteria, the community college may still admit the student into the English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Successful completion of all prescribed ESL courses will open the door to the wider academic world of community college.

Students should contact the two-year college admissions office to request information on international admissions. Many community colleges have websites with downloadable or online applications. To search for community colleges, students can visit the American Association of Community Colleges website ( or search and nces university browser.

Q. Who do I get my reference letters from if I am applying for a PhD. programs in the United States?

A. Although requirements for Letters of Recommendation (LOR) may vary by program/university, the letter can usually be from an academic (teachers/professors) or professional (supervisor/project manager/clients) contact. . Professional contacts are particularly relevant for candidates who have some professional experience. Some universities require at least one or two of the three Academic Contact LORs.

Applicants should carefully read the reference letter instructions for shortlisted universities before deciding who to take their letters from.

When choosing their recommenders, applicants should keep in mind that the recommender should know them very well. If you are applying for a Ph.D. program right after your bachelor’s program, you can choose one or two professors who taught you a course as well as the mentor you worked with on your project work. If you are pursuing or have just completed a master’s degree, your thesis guide will be an ideal recommender, as well as bachelor’s or master’s professors who have taught you relevant courses.

For working professionals, depending on university requirements, applicants may take one professional recommendation and two academic recommendations.

Q. How do I go about finding the cost of masters degree programs in the USA?

A. Considered university websites are good sources for checking tuition, cost of living, and other expenses to determine the cost of attending a US university. This information can be found on the university’s admissions page or the bursar’s webpage (the bursar is a university’s budget and finance office). Be sure to take note of both tuition and other additional costs, including the cost of housing, books and supplies, transportation, health insurance, personal expenses, etc.

Also, note whether the tuition is for residents or non-residents (as an international student, you will pay the non-resident fee). These costs vary depending on the type of institution, location, and program of study.

Q. What is the accrediting body for nursing programs in the United States?

A. Students seeking admission to nursing schools and programs in the United States can visit the websites of the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education ( and the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission – NLNAC ( which are recognized accrediting bodies for baccalaureate nursing programs in the United States. Also, students should ensure that the nursing school is approved by the State Board of Nursing.

Q. What types of programs and specializations are available in journalism and communications in the United States?

A. Institutions of higher education in the United States offer several degree options in the fields of journalism and communications at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Students who wish to pursue a graduate program in these fields can obtain a master’s degree (master of arts), a master’s degree (master of science) or a doctorate (doctorate).

You can choose one of the two fields (journalism or communication) for your program or pursue your degree with a combination of both fields. Students interested in pursuing a career in research can opt for a Ph.D. program. Exact degree titles and specialization offerings vary by institution and academic program. You can choose from various concentrations – public relations, publishing, publishing, communication, journalism and communication technology, etc.

You can now get handpicked stories from Telangana today on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe.

Click to follow Telangana Today Facebook page and Twitter .

Comments are closed.