Family of ‘adorable’ girl, 2, who died after vomiting while sleeping, say doctors failed

Grieving parents of “adorable” two-year-old daughter say they were rejected by doctors after learning she was in stable condition despite not responding for hours and appeared to be throwing up in her body. sleep.

An investigation revealed that Cristiana Banciu’s mother and father had “probably not” received the correct clinical picture from a nurse when she informed them of the child’s condition just before she was discharged. taken to another hospital where doctors quickly concluded that she had little chance of survival.

She was about a month away from her third birthday when she died at King’s College Hospital in Denmark Hill, south London on January 8, 2020.

Cristiana’s father, Alexandru, described his daughter as a “beautiful, smiling and adorable girl”

She had been transferred from Princess Royal University Hospital in Orpington two days earlier, on January 6.

According to a post-mortem examination cited in a serious incident investigation report from King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, she died of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS).

Cristiana’s father, Alexandru, described his daughter as a “beautiful, smiling and adorable daughter”.

She had been “perfect” on January 4, but woke up in the early hours of January 5 with a temperature, he told the South London Coroner’s Court investigation.

When her fever did not subside, they took her to Princess Royal University Hospital, just a five-minute drive from their home in Orpington.

After chest x-rays, the child was sent home with medication, with staff saying she appeared to have an early lung infection, her mother Georgina Banciu said.

The court heard that the two-year-old girl had previously had problems with a lower respiratory tract infection, but Ms Banciu said her condition that day was “very different”.

When she failed to improve at home, her parents took her back to the emergency room and she was admitted to a pediatric ward.

Speaking through an interpreter, Ms Banciu, originally from Romania, said despite her daughter’s vomiting “no doctor came to see her”.

Mr Banciu said it was “very confusing for us as parents because she did not wake up” when she threw up, but added that they were not immediately worried because “no one put us on alert “.

He said they “didn’t know it was wrong” and attributed his lack of reaction to the medication he was given.

He said they alerted a member of staff and the sheets had been changed but no further action had been taken.

When the child vomited again, Ms Banciu said that a nurse told her the doctor could not come because he was going to the emergency room.

When her daughter got sick a third time and had traces of blood, her mother said, “That’s when I got mad and said ‘this is not vomiting, this is the time. ‘is blood’.

Staff nurse Radmila Bartule told the inquest that she had raised concerns with other staff about the child vomiting as he appeared to be sleeping.

She also insisted that she called a doctor when she had a Glasgow Coma Score (GCS) check-up and that they “didn’t seem to care, so it reassured me that nothing was wrong. does not happen ”.

Investigation revealed Cristiana had a “dangerously low” GCS of 8 when she first joined the ward.

Just before the child was transferred to King’s College Hospital, Ms Bartule said she told them their daughter was “cased and stable”.

Assistant Coroner Jacqueline Devonish said, “So you’re talking to the parents who brought in a child who earlier today was alive and the day before had been lively and chatty.

“So they brought this child who has been sleeping or has been unconscious for hours. They sat down next to the bed, we didn’t say anything at all. The first thing they are told is that it is stable, ready for the transfer. Was this really the clinical picture? “

In tears, the nurse replied, “Probably not.”

Princess Royal University Hospital in Orpington
Princess Royal University Hospital in Orpington

At the end of her testimony, Ms. Bartule said: “May I just say that I am very sorry for their loss. Honestly, I’m so sorry if I did something that I could have done better.

The parents traveled with their daughter in the ambulance to King’s College and Mr Banciu said it was the first time he had been told about the “real situation” she found herself in.

He said a doctor told them, “I’m doing my best to get your daughter to at least assure me that she gets to Denmark Hill.

Concluding his testimony at the inquest, he added, “Whatever I can do to make sure this doesn’t happen to any other parent because no one deserves it.”

Ms Banciu said upon arrival at King’s College Hospital, staff “did all they could” but were told their daughter had less than a 0.1% chance of survival .

The deputy coroner described it as a “devastating” and “very, very sad” case.

The inquest has been adjourned to hear further testimony on a date to be fixed.

Jodi Newton, attorney at Osbornes Law, who represents the family, said: “The family is heartbroken and determined to find long-awaited answers, which we hope the investigation will achieve.

“Nothing will bring their beautiful daughter back, but they hope that with a thorough investigation, answers and a meaningful change plan, other parents can avoid the tragedy they have experienced.”

Source by [author_name]

Comments are closed.